Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tubes

We took baby water Bug to the hospital today to get tubes in his ears. He has had on going ear infections for 5 weeks! He can not take any antibiotics because he has had an allergic reaction to all antibiotics so far! The last one was so severe that they told me he can not have any more antibiotics. What does that mean? What happens when he gets strep throat? He will get it too -- my kids always get strep. I had six kids with me that day, at the doctor's office, and had been in the room for an hour and forty minutes. I just wanted them to tell me what we needed to do so that I could take my pep squad home. I didn't ask too many questions, except the same one -- will the side effects to this or that drug be the same as Zithromax? He apparently could not understand me, what with all the cheers and tears going on behind me. The doctor was about to give him an injection of some drug when a nurse walked in and asked the magic question......"He has never had an allergic reaction to any medication before, right. Because......" UH YES!!! I had told the Dr. three times about his reactions. Anyway, the nurse took the medication away quickly (like I was about to grab the needle and stick my child) and said that the same ingredients are in that drug as the ones he had reactions to. We were sent to an ENT the next day and that doctor scheduled him to get tubes in a week. He needed to get tubes because he can't take any antibiotics and even if his ears did clear up on it's own this time he could still get infected again and that will give us time to figure out his allergies. When we move I will talk to another dr about his allergy issue.
We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 am and his surgery was done at 7:45am. We had to give baby a sedative so that I could had him over to the nurse. He was not about to go with someone other than mom. We did not want him to go to the OR screaming and the nurses to hold him down so that they could strap him in and put the gas mask on. I was so sad watching my baby walk away from me with someone else. He did great! All the nurses loved him and wanted to cuddle with him. We are at home now and he is a little bit grumpy but we are glad it's over and he is doing well!
Linz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give Water Bug a big kiss from me, and a huge hug to you for being strong for your family! Love you!