Thursday, March 20, 2008

Big Kids Only!

Last Friday I took the older three kids to Washington DC. We hopped on the metro at 9:40 and arrived at our stop at 10:20. I was very nervous to get on the metro without my husband -- I had never done it before by myself. June Bug was great! When we went to the machines to purchase our ticket I stood there starring at the directions, stops and cost to ride (why do we have to figure out how much we want on our ticket why can't you just put in where you want to go and then it just spits it out?). While I was looking, June Bug says, "Mom it's easy!" He the proceeded to tell me how much we want and how to use the machine! Just like his Dad I thought! He was so smart and he has only been on the metro one time since he was 5 years old! My hubby met us and we enjoyed the train ride together. It was nice being with just the big kids. We didn't have to worry about kids staying in their seats or running around. It was nice giving the big kids some attention and going on a field trip that was just for them.

When we arrived in DC we walked straight to the Library of Congress where we were meeting a homeschool group from Maryland. We took the tour instead of walking around on our own. I highly recommend the tour because they explain what all the symbols mean and give you so much history and information on the building. After the Library of Congress we walked to the Supreme Courthouse. We had lunch and then said goodbye to Dad because he had to get back to work. I loved that he made time to come with us! The kids and I then got in line with our homeschool group to hear a lecture given in the actual court room. Again great lecture! The room was beautiful! After the lecture was done we visited the gift shop and then headed back to the metro.

The weather was perfect. DC was blooming and beautiful. My kids were wonderful. It was a great day!
Linz

No comments: