Saturday, January 28, 2006

Symphony Orchestra

Today we took the kids to see our local symphony orchestra that was having a concert just for kids. When we got there (we were there an hour early cause being a big family I wanted to make sure we would get seats together) the kids got to try out all different kinds of instruments. June Bug was told each time he tried an instrument that he was a natural (of course we already know this :) )! They then got their faces painted. We found a great place to sit and we got to watch the orchestra practice. Lightning Bug picked out a violin (which was her favorite instrument that she had just tried) and was very excited to see it.
The orchestra was celebrating Mozart's birthday. They had a storyteller, dressed up like Mozart, and he spoke before each piece. He was very entertaining and had the kids laughing! The kids did very well. I was afraid Jitter Bug and Wheel Bug might have a hard time sitting still. Jitter Bug did great-he never talked but he did laugh at the storyteller, smile and was serious watching the orchestra. Wheel Bug unfortunately only sat still for 30 minutes. he wanted to put his feet on the seat in front of him---there was someone sitting there so that didn't work. Dad explained that he couldn't and he cried. Dad and Wheel Bug left to go sit in the car.
The orchestra played:
Overture to "The Marriage of Figaro" by Mozart (one of my favorites)
Raiders March by John Williams
Violin concerto No.3 by Mozart (one of my favorites of his)
Harry Potter Symphonic Suite by Williams/Brubaker
Symphany No.40 by Mozart (ok another one of my favorites)
Superman Theme by Williams/Rothrock

It was wonderful! I had tears in my eyes and chills all over 10 seconds into the first one! In fact I cried during 3 of them--not sobbing just tears streaming out of my eyes. At the end we all sang Happy Birthday to Mozart. The whole thing only lasted one hour ten minutes and it only cost us $20.

When we got in the car the kids sang out, "Thank you Mom and Dad, we loved it!"
What a great feeling.
I hope your weekend is as magical as ours.

Linz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooo, I am envious! It sounds like a fabulous time..I have never been to an orchestra myself, but now I want to go!

Do you all spend much time on music i.e., learning to read notes, practicing instruments, learning music theory?